Monday, October 5, 2015

WRITING TIP # 1 - CHARACTER NAMES


As promised, I hope to post some sort of writing tip each Monday starting today. I felt the best way to start is to handle the issue or problem regarding names for the characters in our books.

Every author in writing their book(s) has to face the dilemma of what to name our characters, luckily for us if our story takes place in the United States, we have a superb tool to help remedy the situation. When we name our characters, we want their names to be appropriate for the time period the story is taking place, and of course it would be wonderful if we can know what the most popular names were for our characters when they were born.

In my debut MG/YA Paranormal Romance novel, "I Kissed a Ghost", I wanted my characters to be around 13 years old which would mean they were born in 1997. And since my story has a time travel element to it, I would also need to know the most popular names in 1897.

There's a lot more fun stuff there...you can LAO find out how popular your name has been since you were born. Here's the link to the site.

No comments:

Post a Comment