Sunday, February 2, 2014

BOOK REVIEW - "SPIRITS OF CHRISTMAS" By Nicky Wells

Well here I am keeping my New Year's Resolution about my return to reading books, something I haven't done in about 8 years. As I said in my previous post, I'm going to start posting my reviews on all of my blog sites.  Here's the review I posted on Amazon and GoodReads for the first book I read this year, I took about tens before I decided to post it.




January 22, 2014


SPIRITS OF CHRISTMAS
By Nicky Wells




It took a little getting used to the British English Nicky used in writing this, as this is the first novel/novella I've read not using the American English I've heard all of life. I live on the other side of "The Pond" is the NY City Metropolitan area so seeing word like pajamas spelled pyjamas threw off my reading the story in the beginning, but I eventually got used to reading it.

The story remains rule in its basic storyline to the original "Christmas Carol" written by Charles Dickens, updated so it can be enjoyed by those who lived through the glory days of Rock and Roll. I found the beginning of the story a somewhat slow read, that's until I got to the appearance of the first ghost where I found the reading moving fast.

In short, I found Spirits of Christmas a perfect read for the holiday with its theme of possibilities, and of rebirths; as well as a great read for the rest of the year.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment